Thursday, June 17, 2010

Furniture shopping inspirationPart II

So I mentioned a few days ago about going to a home furniture store and really being inspired by some of their furniture and their art. I could not believe how much of what they had could be very easily reproduced at a fraction of the cost. Check out this picture, how easy would this be? If you can't draw don't worry about it.  Find a drawing of  a chandelier that you like on the internet and blow it up to the size you want.  You can get graphite paper in white.  Trace over your design onto black paper and then go over it loosely a couple more times.  Super easy.  I think I am going to have to make one of these and the lamp!  I saw a chandelier at Goodwill and didn't buy it and now I wish I had, it would have been perfect to make into a lamp like this one! Look below at this artwork.  Can you imagine useing stamps and scrapbook paper?  I think it would be cute to use real paper doll clothing.  You can find all kinds of styles at a bookstore. These would be so cuuuuutttteee in a bathroom.
 It doesn't get much simpler than this.  Find some neat wrapping paper at a Hallmark or a nice gift shop, you could even use wallpaper. Pick up some second hand frames at a thriftstore and you have art for near to nothing!  That's my favorite kind of art!!!
This would work great with a piece of graphic fabric.  Check out the bins with remnants, you don't need more than a yard.  Simply nail some 2x2's together to form a frame and stretch and staple the fabric onto the frame.  It would even look really cool if you found several coordinating fabrics and made smaller ones.
This one looks more complicated but not really.  Get clear contact paper and cut out a bunch of leaves and stems and place them on a white canvas and then paint over it.  This canvas has a faux finish look to it that doesn't show up in the picture.  Then take a brighter orange a paint a few leaves.  You could do this with lots of designs, not just a tree.
It doesn't get any simpler than this.  You can't tell from the picture but these were hung at different depths. I am sure they had spacers behind the CD's so that some stuck out further from the wall.  Perfect for a teenagers room.
I think this is such a cool idea.  Make a map.  Perfect for a pirate room. My son used to have a travel themed room, this would have been just the right touch.  It looked like bulletin board paper or even brown packaging paper, wrinkled up and painted over.  It had a real aged look to it. Look at the rose compass next to it.  I made one of these for my sons room.  Very simple.  I bought a circle already cut out from the hardward store.
A closer look!
This could be done with paint or with scrapbook paper.  It had a bit of texture in the middle.  Take some spackling and a stencil and place it on your background and take a putty knife and scrape it over the stencil.  Once it dries you can antique it or you could mix some paint in with the spackling before you use it. These are all great ideas and could be used in so many places in your home.  I think I need more wall space.  Were you inspired by anything?  If you make something be sure to share with me what you have done!

~toodles~ Laura

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I can't wait to see how we recreate some of this stuff!! I'm glad you took pictures and posted them!

Ali @ Honey and Maple Syrup said...

It just takes a little imagination and so many things can be recreated for so much cheaper than things they sell in stores =)

rebecca @ older and wisor said...

I can't believe that b & w damask was $200!! You're right - I've seen fabric like that everywhere. Thanks for the inspiration!

Gypsy Heart said...

Just found your blog and I love all of these ideas! Thanks so much for sharing ~

Have a blessed weekend!
Pat

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...