Thursday, April 28, 2011

Mosaic Picture Frame

I love mosaics! Honestly it is one of my favorite things. I love them so much I tiled my entire kitchen and den mosaic.


This was the hardest DIY I have ever done, back breaking work! But this is a post about a frame so let's move on....

Here are the basic supplies you need.
A picture frame, Weldbond glue (or any glue that dries clear), snippers (can be purchased at Loew's or Home Depot for under 10.00), glass marbles that are flat on one side.
Simply place a flat marble between the snippers and apply pressure until it breaks. I would suggest wearing protective safety glasses when you do this. I also hold the snippers down into a bowl so that the marbles don't fly across the room. (Note: this is glass. Obviously you can cut yourself but if you are careful you should be ok, I have done this many times and never cut myself.)
Spread some glue on your board and place the cut part of the marble on the glue. Also, every marble has a flat side and a round side. I placed the flat side of the marble around the edge of the frame. It doesn't matter which way you place them just be consistent.
I think you can see what I mean here a little easier. All the flat sides face the same way.
Also make sure you pay attention to how you line them up. This is an example of what NOT to do. Notice the 2 different lines are kinda lined up.
Here is how you want to do it, stagger one row after the other, kinda like a brick wall. It helps to fill in the gaps better.
This is what is really cool about this technique. All the marbles are at different levels giving it a really neat texture.
Here is the finished project. I just love the way it looks. This is my favorite color combination because it looks like water from a distance.
Here is a little closer look. This is such and easy, and inexpensive little project. I hope you give it a try.
Kids can even do it! This project was done by 3rd, 4th and 5th graders at my church. What about you do you love mosaics? I will leave you with my favorite artist, she is amazing! Her name is Sonia King. I would love to follow her around for a day or play in her studio.
Ok, I told you I love her, I can't just show you one!
These are all at a local hospital, we are lucky to have her. She travels the world to study and teach. I once took a class with her mom. This is a piece she was working on in the class. Can I say I LOVE it one more time???
Anyway my floor is no way near this fantastic but I love it and I love creating any kind of mosaic. Some day I hope to go back and take some more classes.

13 comments:

Lindsay @ Delighted Momma said...

So beautiful! What a lovely idea. I was just googling this idea earlier bc I want to make one as well :)

-Lindsay
Delighted Momma

Unknown said...

I'm always looking for ideas to use with this glass gems. They look great cut and in a mosaic! beautiful!

Screaming Sardine said...

Wow, this is soooo pretty. I have some of these glass beads and have been wanting to do a project of this type. Thanks for sharing how you did it.

You're more than welcome to link up at the Sunburnt Cow link party.

Cheers,
Tracy All Thumbs Crafts

DearHelenHartman said...

When I saw the title of your blog in the comments on Savvy Southern Style I just KNEW I'd want to follow you. Click. One look at your blog and I headed off to join. Love those frames and the artwork... inspiring! Come say hello at Dear Helen Hartman sometime, not so creative as you but loves visitors.

Just Jaime said...

Love the colors in your frame!

PC said...

I'll just have to say... I personally love you more than Ms Sonia King.. because your craft is much simple and easy to copy.. hehe! your new follower..PC via Flaming Toes!

Renee said...

I just became your latest follower! I love the frame and would love to see how you did your floors. Have you done a post on it?

InMyOwnStyle said...

Hi Laura-

I love the mosaic you did on your kitchen floor - backbreaking yes, but worth it. I would love to know how you did it - broken tiles? It looks fabulous. I have loved mosaics since I was a kid - they are so colorful and happy. The works of Sonia King are remarkable. Very inspiring.
My best- Diane

Unknown said...

WOOT! Wow! I love the floor-what an undertaking! Looks like a cool project, thinking about summer camp! love the one you made in church with the kids! Great idea. I love the new look of your blog. Very fresh and cheerful! xoxo Pink

SJ @ Homemaker On A Dime said...

Laura, these are all lovely! Not only that, I'm admiring all your creative posts here so can you please share them with us at the Creative Bloggers' Party & Hop? Hope to see you there at the party :)

Maggie Lowe said...

such a beautiful idea of using marbel balls and making a attractive and impressive photo frame...I really appreciate your efforts..i will really use it in my life to keep my memories alive and beautiful..



Photo Album

Stevie Godson said...

Just saying "hi" from South Africa. I'm also a mosaic fanatic - if you take a look at my blog, here's one I'm working on: http://wordnerdsblog.co.za/about/meet-the-word-nerds/
Oh, you'll also see that I'm a word nerd, too, which is why I was drawn to the name of your blog. Just wonderful!

Mosaic south africa said...

Very beautiful Mosaic you have created. I have no word to say anything about it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...